The Samsung SSD 870 EVO and the 970 EVO Plus epitomize Samsung’s commitment to delivering cutting-edge storage solutions, each tailored to meet specific user demands.
Positioned as a cost-effective choice, the SSD 870 EVO harnesses the SATA interface to provide a significant performance upgrade over traditional hard drives.
Armed with 3D V-NAND technology and a powerful Phoenix controller, the 970 EVO Plus stands out in handling demanding workloads, such as content creation and professional applications.
The choice depends on whether users prioritize affordability and everyday use or demand top-tier performance for intensive applications.
Comparison Between Samsung SSD 870 Evo And 970 Evo Plus
The Samsung SSD 870 EVO and 970 EVO Plus are both reputable solid-state drives from Samsung, but they cater to different segments of the market with distinct features.
Here’s a more organized and detailed comparison table between the Samsung SSD 870 EVO and the 970 EVO Plus:
|Samsung SSD 870 EVO
|Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus
|NVMe (PCIe Gen3 x4)
|Improved over HDD, limited by SATA speeds
|High-performance NVMe, significantly faster
|Sequential Read Speed
|Up to 560 MB/s
|Up to 3,500 MB/s
|Sequential Write Speed
|Up to 530 MB/s
|Up to 3,300 MB/s
|Random Read IOPS
|Up to 98,000
|Up to 620,000
|Random Write IOPS
|Up to 88,000
|Up to 560,000
|250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 4TB
|250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB
|General computing, cost-effective upgrade
|Professional applications, high-performance needs
|Typically more budget-friendly
|May come at a higher price point
|Everyday users, budget-conscious buyers
|Enthusiasts, professionals, high-performance needs
|Varies by capacity (e.g., 150TBW for 500GB)
|Varies by capacity (e.g., 600TBW for 1TB)
|Compatible with a wide range of systems
|Requires NVMe support in the system
The choice between the Samsung SSD 870 EVO and 970 EVO Plus depends on individual priorities. The 870 EVO is a solid choice for users with budget constraints or those looking for reliable performance in everyday computing tasks.
On the other hand, the 970 EVO Plus is the preferred option for users who prioritize high-performance storage, particularly in professional or data-intensive scenarios.
Performance And Speed
The Samsung SSD 870 Evo offers impressive performance and speed, while the 970 Evo Plus takes it a step further with enhanced capabilities. Experience lightning-fast data transfer and smoother multitasking with these cutting-edge solid-state drives.
Benchmark Tests And Results For Both Ssd Models:
Samsung SSD 870 EVO:
- Sequential Read Speed: With impressive read speeds of up to 560MB/s, the Samsung SSD 870 EVO ensures quick access to your data, resulting in reduced waiting times.
- Sequential Write Speed: Boasting a maximum write speed of 530MB/s, the 870 EVO allows for rapid data transfers, enhancing overall performance.
- Random Read Speed: Delivering up to 98,000 IOPS (Input/Output Operations Per Second), this SSD model excels in handling small, random data requests.
- Random Write Speed: With a noteworthy random write speed of up to 88,000 IOPS, the 870 EVO is well-suited for various computing tasks, including multitasking and gaming.
Samsung 970 EVO Plus:
- Sequential Read Speed: The 970 EVO Plus takes things up a notch with a staggering read speed of up to 3,500MB/s, ensuring incredibly fast file access and loading times.
- Sequential Write Speed: With a maximum write speed of 3,300MB/s, this SSD model enables swift data transfers, making it ideal for resource-intensive applications.
- Random Read Speed: Offering an exceptional random read speed of up to 600,000 IOPS, the 970 EVO Plus excels in handling intensive workloads and demanding software.
- Random Write Speed: With an impressive random write speed of up to 550,000 IOPS, this SSD is designed to handle heavy multitasking and high-bandwidth tasks with ease.
Both the Samsung SSD 870 EVO and the Samsung 970 EVO Plus deliver excellent performance and speed, but they cater to different needs.
While the 870 EVO offers remarkable read and write speeds, the 970 EVO Plus takes it to the next level with higher sequential and random speeds.
Capacity And Compatibility
The Samsung SSD 870 Evo and 970 Evo Plus offer exceptional capacity and compatibility, making them excellent choices for storage solutions.
Their advanced features ensure efficient performance and seamless integration with various systems. Compare these two models to find the perfect fit for your needs.
Available Storage Capacities For Both Ssd Models:
Samsung SSD 870 Evo:
This model is available in the following capacities:
- 250GB: Suitable for light usage scenarios and basic tasks.
- 500GB: Ideal for average users who require moderate storage space.
- 1TB: Offers ample storage for everyday use and multimedia files.
- 2TB: Perfect for power users and professionals who deal with large files and heavy applications.
Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus:
This model provides the following storage options:
- 250GB: A compact solution for users with limited storage needs.
- 500GB: Delivers a balance between storage capacity and affordability.
- 1TB: Ideal for gamers, content creators, and professionals who require significant storage space.
- 2TB: Offers expansive storage for intensive workloads and demanding applications.
Sata And Nvme Compatibility Comparison:
- Samsung SSD 870 Evo: This model is compatible with both SATA and NVMe interfaces. SATA interface provides backward compatibility with older systems, while NVMe interface delivers faster data transfer rates for modern systems.
- Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus: Unlike the 870 Evo, this model exclusively supports the NVMe interface. NVMe provides significantly faster read and write speeds compared to SATA, making it an excellent choice for systems that can leverage its full potential.
Suitable Usage Scenarios For Each Ssd:
Samsung SSD 870 Evo:
Due to its compatibility with both SATA and NVMe interfaces, the 870 Evo is versatile and can be used in various scenarios, including:
- Upgrading older systems with SATA interface for improved performance and storage capacity.
- Building new systems that require a reliable and cost-effective storage solution.
- Utilizing NVMe interface when maximum data transfer speeds are desired.
Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus:
The focus of the 970 Evo Plus is on NVMe performance, making it suitable for:
- High-performance gaming systems that demand quick data access and reduced loading times.
- Professional workstations handling resource-intensive tasks like video editing, 3D rendering, and data analysis.
- Systems that require blazing-fast speeds for seamless multitasking and running multiple applications simultaneously.
Both the Samsung SSD 870 Evo and 970 Evo Plus offer a range of storage capacities and compatibility options, making them suitable for a variety of usage scenarios.
Whether you prioritize flexibility, cost-efficiency, or cutting-edge performance, these SSDs have you covered.
Price And Value For Money
The Samsung SSD 870 Evo offers exceptional performance and reliability, making it a worthy investment.
The 970 Evo Plus surpasses its predecessor by delivering even faster speeds and improved overall value for money. Choose wisely based on your specific needs and budget.
Cost Comparison Of Samsung Ssd 870 Evo And 970 Evo Plus
When comparing the prices of the Samsung SSD 870 EVO and 970 EVO Plus, it’s important to note that the 970 EVO Plus is a slightly older model, which could affect its pricing.
Price-To-Performance Ratio Analysis
To determine the value for money, it’s essential to analyze the price-to-performance ratio of the Samsung SSD 870 EVO and 970 EVO Plus.
Here’s a closer look at their respective ratios:
Samsung SSD 870 EVO:
- Provides solid performance at an affordable price
- Ideal for everyday tasks and general computing needs
- Offers good value for those on a budget
Samsung 970 EVO Plus:
- Delivers exceptional speed and performance
- Suitable for demanding tasks like gaming, content creation, and professional applications
- Offers premium performance but comes at a higher cost
Factors To Consider When Evaluating Value For Money
When assessing the value for money of these two SSDs, there are several factors to take into account.
Consider the following aspects before making a decision:
- Storage capacity: Determine how much storage you need and compare the prices per GB of the Samsung SSD 870 EVO and 970 EVO Plus.
- Intended use: Consider the specific tasks you’ll be performing and evaluate whether the higher performance of the 970 EVO Plus justifies the extra cost.
- Future-proofing: Assess how long you intend to use the SSD and how it may fit into your future upgrade plans.
- Warranty and reliability: Look into the warranty periods and reliability ratings of both drives to ensure peace of mind.
By carefully considering the cost comparison, price-to-performance ratio, and relevant factors, you can make an informed decision on which SSD, either the Samsung SSD 870 EVO or 970 EVO Plus, offers the best value for money for your specific needs.
Both the Samsung SSD 870 Evo and 970 Evo Plus are solid choices for upgrading your storage capabilities.
The 870 Evo offers impressive read and write speeds, along with enhanced endurance, making it ideal for both casual users and gamers.
On the other hand, the 970 Evo Plus delivers even faster performance and comes with a larger cache size, making it perfect for power users and professionals.
If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option without sacrificing too much in terms of performance, the 870 Evo is the way to go.