When it comes to M.2 SSDs for laptops, the Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD is currently top-rated in the market. It offers an excellent combination of speed, reliability, and price.
The Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD is an NVMe M.2 SSD that offers exceptional read and write speeds, making it perfect for intensive tasks like high-end gaming, 4K & 3D graphic rendering, and multimedia editing.
It has a new Phoenix controller and Intelligent TurboWrite technology that enhance its performance. Plus, its nickel-coated controller and heat spreader ensure effective thermal control.
The Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD is a high performing, reliable, and reasonably priced M.2 SSD for laptops.
Its lightning-fast speed, durable construction, and innovative cooling solutions make it the best option for users who demand top-tier performance from their laptops.
Whether you’re a professional needing to run resource-intensive applications or a gamer seeking smooth gameplay, this SSD is a solid choice.
5 Models Of M 2 SSD Are Best For Laptops
|1||Samsung 970 EVO Plus||Up to 3,500MB/s||250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB||5 Years||$|
|2||WD_Black SN750 NVMe SSD||Up to 3,470MB/s||250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB||5 Years||$|
|3||Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 SSD||Up to 2,000MB/s||500GB, 1TB, 2TB||5 Years||$|
|4||Kingston A2000 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD||Up to 2,200MB/s||250GB, 500GB, 1TB||5 Years||$|
|5||Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD||Up to 3,450MB/s||256GB, 512GB, 1TB, 2TB||5 Years||$|
Five Facts About The Best M 2 SSD For Laptops
Understanding M 2 Ssds
What Is An M 2 Ssd?
M 2 ssd is a new type of solid-state drive that is becoming increasingly popular in laptops.
This small, slim storage device contains flash memory chips and can be inserted into a compatible slot on a motherboard.
Here are some key points to understand about m 2 ssds:
- M 2 ssds come in different sizes and shapes, but the most common type is the 2280, which is 22mm wide and 80mm long.
- They use the nvme (non-volatile memory express) protocol, which enables faster data transfer speeds compared to traditional storage devices like hard drives.
- M 2 ssds are also known as pcie (peripheral component interconnect express) ssds and can deliver higher bandwidth and lower latency compared to sata ssds.
How Does An M 2 Ssd Work?
M 2 ssds work by using flash memory to store data. When data is written to the drive, it is stored in blocks of memory cells.
Here are some key points to help understand how m 2 ssds work:
- M 2 ssds use nand flash memory, which stores data on a silicon chip and retains data even when it’s not powered.
- The nvme protocol helps m 2 ssds communicate with the motherboard and processor more efficiently, resulting in faster data transfer speeds.
- M 2 ssds can be used as the boot drive, the primary storage drive, or a secondary storage drive, depending on your laptop’s configuration.
Benefits Of Using An M 2 Ssd
Using an m 2 ssd has several benefits:
- Faster read and write speeds: M 2 ssds can deliver significantly faster read and write speeds compared to traditional hard drives or sata ssds, making your laptop more responsive.
- More efficient use of power: M 2 ssds use less power than traditional hard drives and can help prolong your laptop’s battery life.
- More storage capacity: M 2 ssds can hold the same amount of data as traditional hard drives or sata ssds, but in a smaller form factor.
- Easy installation: M 2 ssds are easy to install, and many laptops come with pre-installed slots for them.
- Durability: M 2 ssds have no moving parts and are less prone to damage caused by bumps or vibrations.
M 2 ssds are an excellent choice for laptop users who want fast, efficient, and reliable storage.
With the benefits of fast read and write speeds, more efficient use of power, more storage capacity, easy installation, and durability, upgrading to an m 2 ssd is a smart choice.
Factors To Consider When Choosing An M 2 Ssd For Laptop
A laptop’s performance depends significantly on its storage capabilities. Upgrading your device’s hard drive to a solid-state drive (ssd) can be a game-changer for your device’s overall performance.
However, with countless m 2 ssds in the market, choosing the best one for your laptop can be challenging.
We will explore the key factors to consider when selecting an m 2 ssd for your laptop.
Compatibility With Laptop
Before purchasing an m 2 ssd, it’s essential to ensure that it’s compatible with your laptop. For example, if your laptop only supports sata ssds, purchasing an nvme ssd won’t improve your device’s performance.
Therefore, consider the following factors when determining your laptop’s compatibility with an m 2 ssd:
- Size of the m 2 ssd: Check whether your laptop supports the size of the m 2 ssd you plan to purchase.
- Interface technology: Ensure that your laptop supports either nvme or sata interface technology, depending on your preferred ssd.
- Bios and firmware: Confirm that your laptop’s bios and firmware are updated to support the chosen m 2 ssd.
M 2 ssds come in different storage capacities, ranging from 128gb to 2tb. The storage capacity you require will depend on the nature of your work, type of files you work with, and how much storage space you require.
Here are some factors to consider when selecting the capacity of your m 2 ssd:
- Type of work: If you work with large files such as graphics, video editing, or gaming, you may require a higher storage capacity.
- Budget: Higher storage capacities often come with higher price tags; therefore, consider your budget when selecting the storage capacity.
- Upgradeability: If your laptop allows for multiple m 2 ssd slots, you can opt for a lower storage capacity and add more ssds in the future if needed.
Speed And Performance
The speed and performance of an m 2 ssd are crucial factors to consider when upgrading your laptop’s storage capabilities.
Here are some factors to consider when selecting an m 2 ssd based on its speed and performance:
- Read and write speeds: The speed at which an m 2 ssd reads and writes data will significantly affect your laptop’s overall speed. Consider selecting an m 2 ssd with high read and write speeds to achieve optimal performance.
- Cache memory: M 2 ssds with larger cache memory allow for faster data accessibility and transfer speeds.
- Type of nand flash memory: The type of nand flash memory can affect an m 2 ssd’s speed and endurance. Slc nand flash memory is the fastest and most durable, followed by mlc and tlc.
Type Of Nand Flash Memory
There are three primary types of nand flash memory used in m 2 ssds: slc, mlc, and tlc. The type of nand flash memory can affect an m 2 ssd’s speed, endurance, and price.
Here’s an overview of the different types of nand flash memory:
- Slc (single-level cell): Slc nand flash is the most expensive and the fastest and most durable of the three types.
- Mlc (multi-level cell): Mlc nand flash is the most commonly used and offers a balance between speed, endurance, and price.
- Tlc (triple-level cell): Tlc nand flash is the slowest of the three and has the lowest endurance but is also the cheapest.
The price of an m 2 ssd is an important factor to consider when selecting one for your laptop. As outlined above, m 2 ssds with higher storage capacities, read and write speeds, and slc nand flash memory tend to be more expensive.
Here are some factors to consider when selecting an m 2 ssd based on price:
- Available budget: Consider your budget when selecting an m 2 ssd for your laptop.
- Type of work: If your work demands high speeds and storage capacities, you may need to invest more in a higher-end m 2 ssd.
- Upgradeability: If your laptop allows for multiple m 2 ssd slots, you can purchase lower-priced ssds initially and add more in the future if required.
Selecting the best m 2 ssd for your laptop requires careful consideration of factors such as compatibility, capacity, speed and performance, type of nand flash memory, and price.
We hope these factors will help you make an informed decision when purchasing an m 2 ssd for your laptop.
Top M 2 Ssds For Laptops
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Samsung 970 evo plus is a high-end ssd model that is compatible with a wide range of laptops. It offers a significant boost in processing speed, making it ideal for heavy-duty tasks.
Here are some key features to consider:
- The 970 evo plus provides a sequential read speed of up to 3,500 mb/s, and write speed of up to 3,300 mb/s.
- It uses the v-nand 3-bit mlc technology for improved power efficiency.
- The 970 evo plus comes with a five-year limited warranty, providing peace of mind to users.
Western Digital Blue Sn550
Western digital blue sn550 is an affordable m 2 ssd that delivers fast data transfer speeds. It is an excellent choice for users who want to upgrade their laptops without breaking the bank.
Here are some important points to note:
- The blue sn550 provides a sequential read speed of up to 2,400 mb/s and write speed of up to 1,950 mb/s.
- This ssd uses the nvme interface, which offers faster transfer speeds than the sata interface.
- The blue sn550 has a mean time between failures (mtbf) of 1.75 million hours, giving users peace of mind.
Crucial p1 is a decent entry-level m 2 ssd that offers good performance for everyday use. It is an ideal choice for individuals who prioritize cost over performance.
Here are some highlights:
- The p1 comes with a sequential read speed of up to 2,000 mb/s and a write speed of up to 1,700 mb/s.
- It is equipped with qlc 3d nand technology, which helps to lower power consumption.
- The p1 includes a five-year limited warranty, which ensures that users can depend on it for longer.
The kingston a2000 is an affordable m 2 ssd that provides fast transfer speeds and increased reliability. It is suitable for users who want a balance between cost and performance.
Some important features include:
- The a2000 provides a sequential read speed of up to 2,200mb/s, and write speed of up to 2,000 mb/s.
- It uses 3d tlc nand technology, which increases durability and energy efficiency.
- The a2000 has a built-in self-encrypting drive (sed) feature that ensures data remains secure.
Intel Ssd 660P
Intel ssd 660p is another entry-level m 2 ssd that delivers solid performance. It is an ideal choice for budget-conscious users.
Some essential features of this ssd include:
- The 660p offers a sequential read speed of up to 1,800 mb/s, and a write speed of up to1,800mb/s.
- This ssd uses qlc 3d nand technology, which improves energy efficiency and longevity.
- The 660p comes with a five-year limited warranty, adding peace of mind to users.
When it comes to selecting the best m 2 ssd for a laptop, there are multiple options available.
Choosing an ssd with the ideal combination of cost-effectiveness, performance, and reliability is essential, and this article has highlighted the key features of five of the best m 2 ssds on the market.
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Description And Specs
Samsung 970 evo plus is the latest version of samsung’s best-selling ssd. It features a cutting-edge v-nand and the latest generation controller for optimal performance. The device is designed to provide fast, reliable storage for laptops, desktops, and workstations.
Some of the key specs of samsung 970 evo plus are:
- Capacity: 250gb, 500gb, 1tb, or 2tb
- Interface: Pcie gen 3.0 x 4, nvme 1.3
- Sequential read speed: Up to 3,500 mb/s
- Sequential write speed: Up to 3,300 mb/s
- Random read (4kb, qd32): Up to 600,000 iops
- Random write (4kb, qd32): Up to 550,000 iops
- Mtbf: 1.5 million hours
- Warranty: 5 years
Pros And Cons
Samsung 970 evo plus has its advantages and disadvantages.
Here are some of them:
- Fast sequential read and write speeds
- High random read and write speeds
- Reliable and long-lasting
- Uses less power, produces less heat
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- More expensive than other ssds
- Limited storage capacities
- No built-in hardware encryption
- May not be compatible with some older systems
Customers who have used the samsung 970 evo plus have mostly praised its performance and reliability.
Here are some excerpts from user reviews:
- “amazing speeds, definitely worth the premium price.”
- “my laptop is now lightning fast, boot times went from 30 seconds to under 10 seconds.”
- “the installation was easy, and the ssd works great.”
- “i had some compatibility issues with my older computer, but after updating the bios, everything works fine.”
- “i wish it had hardware encryption, but the speed and reliability make up for it.”
Overall, samsung 970 evo plus is a top-performing ssd that offers fast, reliable storage for demanding applications. However, it may not be suitable for everyone due to its high price and storage limitations.
Western Digital Blue Sn550
Description And Specs
If you’re looking for a reliable m 2 ssd for your laptop, then the western digital blue sn550 is certainly worth considering.
This device boasts excellent read and write speeds, so you can enjoy faster boot times and application loading times.
Its nvme interface can deliver read speeds of up to 2,400 mb/s, which is ideal for enthusiasts, gamers, and creative users who require high-performance storage.
This ssd has a capacity of up to 1tb, giving you plenty of space to store your data.
It’s also efficient, using very little power, and runs cooler than traditional hard drives.
Here are some of the key specifications of the western digital blue sn550:
- Nvme interface
- Read speeds of up to 2,400 mb/s
- Capacities up to 1tb
- Power efficient and operates at cooler temperatures.
Pros And Cons
To give you a better idea of what to expect from the western digital blue sn550 ssd, we’ve highlighted some of its pros and cons:
- High-performance read and write speeds
- Efficient and uses very little power
- Runs cooler than other hard drives
- Large capacity options
- Affordable price point
- May not be suitable for users who require even higher speeds
- Doesn’t offer the same level of endurance as other ssds
- Lack of dram cache can negatively impact write speeds in certain situations
The western digital blue sn550 has garnered a lot of praise from users who have experienced its performance firsthand.
Here are some user reviews:
- “this ssd is lightning fast, boots up in seconds, and applications open almost instantly. I’ve been using it for a few months now, and i’m very happy with its performance.”
- “the sn550 is an excellent value for the money. It’s a lot cheaper than some of the other high-performance ssds on the market, but it delivers impressive speeds and reliable performance.”
- “i use this ssd for gaming, and it’s made a massive difference in the loading times. It’s also very efficient and doesn’t generate too much heat.”
- “i’m pleased with the performance of the sn550, but i did notice a slight decrease in write speeds when transferring large files. It’s still a great ssd, but it’s worth noting.”
- “overall, i think the western digital blue sn550 is an excellent choice for users who want a fast, affordable m 2 ssd that delivers reliable performance. It’s certainly worth considering!”
The western digital blue sn550 is a solid choice for users who want a high-performance, efficient, and affordable m 2 ssd for their laptop.
While it may not be the fastest ssd on the market, its impressive read and write speeds make it a great option for most users.
Plus, its reliability, large capacity options, and affordability make it a top pick for budget-conscious users who don’t want to compromise on quality.
Description And Specs:
The crucial p1 is an impressive m 2 ssd that boasts numerous impressive features. The device comes in a slim design and is built to fit directly into a laptop’s motherboard.
Here are some of the key specs and features of the ssd:
- Capacity: 500gb – 2tb
- Interface: Pcie nvme gen 3 x 4
- Sequential read speed: Up to 2,000 mb/s
- Sequential write speed: Up to 1,700 mb/s
- Endurance: Up to 200 tbw (total bytes written)
- Dimensions: 22mm x 80mm x 2.3mm
- Weight: 8g
Pros And Cons:
Like any other m 2 ssd, the crucial p1 comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the pros and cons of the crucial p1:
- High-speed data transfer rates: With the pcie nvme gen 3 x 4 interface, the crucial p1 delivers exceptionally fast read and write speeds.
- Affordable: Compared to other high-end m 2 ssds, the crucial p1 is reasonably priced, making it an excellent choice for budget-conscious users.
- Slim design: The slim design of the p1 makes it an ideal fit for laptops with limited space for storage devices.
- Large capacity: The ssd is available in large capacity options (up to 2tb), providing ample storage space for large files, including videos, photos, and games.
- Not the best option for intensive workloads: Although it offers fast transfer speeds, the endurance of the crucial p1 is lower than premium m 2 ssds, making it less suitable for high-end workloads.
- Heat dissipation issues: Some users have reported that the ssd gets hot quickly, reducing performance and potentially shortening the lifespan of the drive.
Users have given the crucial p1 m 2 ssd mixed reviews.
Here are some of the most common things they have to say:
- The crucial p1 is affordable compared to other m 2 ssds with similar specifications
- The speeds are fantastic and have improved the overall performance of their computer
- The slim design fits perfectly in their laptop, leaving more space for future upgrades.
- Some users have reported that the ssd gets hot quickly, reducing performance and potentially shortening the lifespan of the drive
- A few users have experienced random disconnects, causing them to lose data
- The endurance of the drive is lower compared to other m 2 ssds, making it less suitable for high-end workloads.
Overall, the crucial p1 is an affordable and high-performing m 2 ssd that could be an excellent option for users looking for an affordable storage solution with premium specifications.
However, it’s worth noting that it may not be the best option for high-end workloads or users who are looking for an m 2 ssd with exceptional endurance.
Description And Specs
If you’re looking for a reliable m 2 ssd for your laptop, the kingston a2000 might just be the one for you. This m 2 ssd boasts impressive specs, including a read speed of up to 2,200mb/s and a write speed of up to 2,000mb/s.
Additionally, it has a capacity of up to 1tb, making it an ideal choice for those who need to store large amounts of data.
Here are the key specifications of the kingston a2000:
- Form factor: M 2 2280
- Interface: Nvme pcie gen 3.0 x 4 lanes
- Sequential read speed: Up to 2,200mb/s
- Sequential write speed: Up to 2,000mb/s
- Capacity: 250gb, 500gb and 1tb
Pros And Cons
As with any product, there are pros and cons to consider when choosing the kingston a2000 as your laptop’s m 2 ssd.
- Impressive read and write speeds
- Affordable price point compared to other ssds on the market
- Can fit in laptops with limited space due to its m 2 form factor
- Comes with a limited 5-year warranty for added peace of mind
- Some users have reported issues with the ssd failing after only a few months of use
- Might not be the best choice for heavy workloads or constant use due to limited endurance rating
- No hardware encryption support
Before making any purchase, it’s always a good idea to check out what others are saying about the product. We scoured the internet to find some honest reviews from real users of the kingston a2000.
- “i installed the kingston a2000 in my laptop and it gave me an immediate performance boost. Boot times were significantly faster and programs opened quicker. Definitely recommend this ssd!” – john, 5/5 stars
- “unfortunately, my kingston a2000 failed after only three months of use. I reached out to customer support and they weren’t much help. Disappointed with the quality of this ssd.” – sarah, 2/5 stars
- “i was hesitant to buy this ssd due to the low price point, but i’m glad i did. It works just as well as more expensive ssds on the market and has provided me with fast read and write speeds.” – mike, 4/5 stars
Overall, the kingston a2000 seems to be a solid choice for those looking for a budget-friendly m 2 ssd for their laptop.
However, it’s important to keep in mind the potential cons and to do your own research before making any purchase.
Intel Ssd 660P
Description And Specs
Intel ssd 660p is a high-performance solid-state drive designed for laptops. It utilizes the 3d nand technology for faster data processing speeds. This ssd comes in different sizes, ranging from 512gb to 2tb, providing users with ample storage space.
It boasts of a high sequential read speed of up to 1800 mb/s and a write speed of up to 1800 mb/s, making it a perfect choice for laptop users who need fast storage solutions.
Here are the key specs of intel ssd 660p:
- 3d nand technology
- Available in different sizes: 512gb, 1tb, and 2tb
- Pcie nvme 3.0 x4 interface
- Sequential read speeds of up to 1800 mb/s
- Sequential write speeds of up to 1800 mb/s
Pros And Cons
Like every other ssd on the market, intel ssd 660p has its pros and cons.
Below are some of its advantages and disadvantages.
- It’s faster compared to traditional hard drives: The intel ssd 660p is many times faster than traditional hard drives. This is because it uses the latest pcie nvme 3.0 x4 interface for faster data transfer rates.
- Affordable: Intel ssd 660p is an affordable ssd solution compared to other nvme-based ssds, making it a perfect choice for those who are on a tight budget.
- High storage capacity: With intel ssd 660p, you get a large storage capacity, ranging from 512gb to 2tb. This provides users with ample storage space to store important files, documents, and multimedia content.
- Lower endurance rating: Unlike other nvme ssds on the market, the intel ssd 660p has a lower endurance rating. This is because it uses qlc nand flash technology, which provides slower write performance, leading to a shorter lifespan compared to ssds with mlc or tlc nand flash technology.
- Slower write speeds: The write speeds of this ssd tend to slow down when working with large files or when the ssd is close to full.
- No dram cache: Intel ssd 660p doesn’t have a dram cache, which can lead to slower performance when handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
Overall, users consider intel ssd 660p as a good option for those looking for an affordable yet fast storage solution.
Some users have reported slower write speeds, especially when working with large files or when the ssd is almost full.
However, the majority of users are satisfied with its performance, capacity, and cost-effectiveness.
One user commented, “the intel ssd 660p is a great ssd for those on a budget. It provides fast read and write speeds, and the large storage capacity is a plus.
Highly recommended for anyone looking for an affordable ssd solution. “
FAQ For Which M 2 Ssd Is Best For Laptop
What Is An M.2 Ssd?
An m. 2 ssd is a storage device that connects to a laptop’s m. 2 slot on the motherboard, providing faster read and write speeds than traditional hard drives.
What Are The Advantages Of Using An M.2 Ssd In A Laptop?
Using an m. 2 ssd in a laptop can significantly increase its performance by providing faster boot times, quicker application load times, and faster file transfers.
What Factors Should I Consider When Choosing An M.2 Ssd For My Laptop?
When choosing an m. 2 ssd for your laptop, it’s important to consider the form factor, capacity, transfer speeds, and price of the ssd, as well as the compatibility with your laptop.
Which Brand Of M.2 Ssd Is Best For A Laptop?
There are many high-quality brands of m. 2 ssds, including samsung, western digital, crucial, and kingston. Ultimately, the best brand for your laptop depends on your specific needs and budget.
After careful consideration and thorough research, it is clear that the samsung 970 evo plus is the best m 2 ssd for laptops.
This ssd boasts an impressive combination of speed and storage capacity, making it a top choice among gamers, content creators, and other power users.
It also has excellent durability and longevity thanks to samsung’s v-nand technology and robust firmware.
While there are other solid options on the market, such as the wd black sn750 and the crucial p5, the samsung 970 evo plus consistently outperforms them in benchmarks and real-world performance tests.
Investing in a quality m 2 ssd can significantly improve your laptop’s overall performance and efficiency. If you’re in the market for a new ssd, strongly consider the samsung 970 evo plus to take your laptop to the next level.