To install an M.2 SSD on an ASUS Z390 motherboard, first, you’ll need to safely and carefully insert the M.2 SSD into the M.2 slot on the motherboard.
Then, secure the SSD with the mounting screw that comes along with the motherboard. Finally, head to the BIOS setup to ensure the SSD is properly recognized by your system.
The M.2 SSD, a compact storage medium, can greatly enhance your computer’s performance by providing rapid data access.
The ASUS Z390 motherboard comes with an M.2 slot that directly supports the installation of this type of SSD.
After physically placing and securing the SSD on your motherboard, you have to adjust the BIOS settings for the system to correctly identify and use the new SSD.
Installing an M.2 SSD on an ASUS Z390 motherboard combines the benefits of a compact, high-speed storage solution with a motherboard that directly supports this technology.
A few simple steps for physical installation and BIOS setup can greatly improve your PC’s performance.
Step-by-Step Guide: Installing M.2 SSD on Asus Z390
|1||Shut down the computer and disconnect the power supply.|
|2||Open the computer case.|
|3||Find the M.2 slot on the Asus Z390 motherboard.|
|4||Unscrew the small screw in the M.2 slot. This may require a small head screwdriver.|
|5||Carefully insert the M.2 SSD into the slot. Be sure to align it properly with the notch in the slot.|
|6||Lower the SSD down onto the motherboard.|
|7||Screw the small screw back into the motherboard, securing the SSD in place.|
|8||Reassemble the computer case.|
|9||Reconnect the power supply and turn on the computer.|
|10||The system should automatically recognize the new SSD. If not, reboot the system and enter BIOS to manually detect it.|
Five Facts About: Installing M.2 SSD on Asus Z390
Understanding M.2 Ssd And Asus Z390 Motherboard
Brief Introduction Of M.2 Ssd And Its Features
M. 2 ssd (solid-state drive) is a small form factor drive that is used for storage purposes in electronic devices.
M. 2 ssd is much faster than traditional hdds (hard disk drives) in terms of data storage, retrieval and transfer as it uses flash memory to store data.
M. 2 ssds have varying lengths and widths, so it is essential to ensure compatibility with the device being used.
The m. 2 ssds come with a range of useful features, such as:
- High speed: Transfer speed as high as 4 gb/s
- Low power consumption: Ideal for laptops and portable computers
- Smaller form factor: Saves space and makes it easy to install
- Durability: No moving parts means less chance of damage
Overview Of Asus Z390 Motherboard And Its Compatibility With M.2 Ssd
Asus z390 motherboard is a high-end motherboard that supports intel’s 8th and 9th generation processors. This motherboard is designed specifically for gaming enthusiasts, content creators, and overclockers.
The z390 motherboard supports m. 2 ssd which is a faster and more efficient storage option as compared to the traditional storage options.
The key features of this motherboard are:
- Ddr4 memory support
- Onboard intel wi-fi
- Multiple optimized gaming ports
- Dual m.2 and u.2 ports
- Triple display support
This motherboard is an ideal choice for those who want to install an m. 2 ssd drive as it is compatible with this modern storage device.
Benefits Of Installing An M.2 Ssd On Asus Z390 Motherboard
There are many benefits of installing an m. 2 ssd on an asus z390 motherboard, some of them are listed below:
- Improved boot up time: With an m.2 ssd, the boot-up time of the computer is significantly reduced as compared to a traditional hdd.
- Faster load times: The m.2 ssd is much faster than a traditional hdd when it comes to loading games, applications and files, which means you spend less time waiting and more time playing or working.
- Increased productivity: The faster load times and transfer speed allow users to work more efficiently and get things done quickly.
- Reliability: As m.2 ssd has no moving parts, it is less prone to damage from vibrations and shocks, increasing its reliability and durability.
- Smaller form factor: As the m.2 ssd is smaller in size, it saves space inside a pc case and makes it easy to install, especially in compact builds.
- Energy-efficient: M.2 ssds use less power, which makes them ideal for laptops and portable computers, helping to extend the battery life on those devices.
Installing an m. 2 ssd on an asus z390 motherboard can make a significant difference in overall performance, speed, and reliability.
If you are building a pc for gaming, content creation, or any other demanding tasks, preferring an m. 2 ssd over a traditional storage device can be a wise decision to amplify your computing experience.
Preparing For Installation
Required Tools And Equipment
Before installing an m. 2 ssd on your asus z390 motherboard, you’ll need to make sure that you have the necessary tools and equipment on hand.
Here’s what you’ll require:
- Screwdriver (check the head size of the screw)
- Anti-static wrist strap (recommended)
- M.2 ssd (make sure it’s compatible with your motherboard)
- Asus z390 motherboard manual (for reference)
Backing Up Important Files And Data
Before you begin the installation process, it’s critically important that you back up your essential files and data.
- Installing a new component such as an m.2 ssd can pose some risks.
- In rare cases, an error during installation could cause data loss.
- In some instances, a system reboot may be required, which could result in loss of unsaved work.
Therefore, it’s crucial that you back up your files on an external hard drive, cloud storage or to another computer/device.
Preparation Of Asus Z390 Motherboard Before Installation
Before you commence installation, it is essential to prepare your asus z390 motherboard to ensure a smooth installation of your new m. 2 ssd.
Here’s how you can do that:
- Turn off your computer and unplug the power cable to prevent any electrical issues.
- Open your computer casing and find the m.2 ssd slot on the asus z390 motherboard.
- Check your asus motherboard manual for the correct m.2 ssd slot.
- Unscrew the retention screw on the motherboard by using the appropriate screwdriver.
- Carefully remove the protective thermal cover from the m.2 ssd slot.
- Insert your m.2 ssd firmly and align it to the socket correctly at a 30-degree angle. Make sure your m.2 ssd is pushed all the way down into the socket to maintain a secure connection.
- Tighten the retention screw on the motherboard to secure the m.2 ssd in place.
That’s it! You’ve prepared your asus z390 motherboard for the installation of a new m. 2 ssd.
Step-By-Step Guide For Installing M.2 Ssd
Removal Of The Motherboard Cover
Before you start installing the m. 2 ssd into the asus z390 motherboard, ensure that you’ve turned off your system and disconnected it from any power source.
This procedure also requires you to remove the motherboard cover to expose the m. 2 slot. Below is the step-by-step guide:
- Locate the screws that secure the motherboard cover onto the chassis.
- Use a screwdriver to unscrew the screws.
- Gently lift the motherboard cover and set it aside in a safe place.
Installation Of M.2 Ssd Into The M.2 Slot
After removing the motherboard cover, you’ll be able to spot an m. 2 slot for installing an m. 2 ssd.
Follow the steps below to install your m. 2 ssd onto the motherboard:
- Identify the m.2 slot on the motherboard.
- Gently insert your m.2 ssd into the m.2 slot, making sure that the m.2 ssd is correctly aligned with the slot.
- Firmly press the m.2 ssd down onto the slot.
Securing The M.2 Ssd With The Screw
After installing the m. 2 ssd into the m. 2 slot, you’ll need to secure it with a screw to ensure its stability and proper functioning.
Follow the below steps to secure the m. 2 ssd:
- Locate the screw that came with the motherboard or m.2 ssd.
- Screw the m.2 ssd onto the motherboard, ensuring it’s firmly secured.
Reattaching The Motherboard Cover
After installing and securing the m. 2 ssd, you can reattach the motherboard cover to its position.
Follow the steps below to reattach the motherboard cover:
- Place the motherboard cover over the motherboard.
- Align the screw holes on the motherboard cover with those on the chassis.
- Use a screwdriver to tightly screw the motherboard cover onto the chassis.
That’s it! You have successfully installed an m. 2 ssd onto your asus z390 motherboard. Ensure that you reconnect your system to a power source and turn it on to ensure the m. 2 ssd is detected by the system.
Configuring The Asus Bios For M.2 Ssd
Installing an m. 2 ssd on an asus z390 can greatly improve your computer’s performance and boot times.
Once your hardware is installed correctly, it is essential to configure the bios settings to make sure that the ssd is being used to its full potential. Keep reading to learn how to configure your asus bios for m. 2 ssd.
Accessing The Asus Bios Menu
Before you start configuring your asus bios, you need to access the bios menu.
Here’s how to access the bios menu on your asus z390 motherboard:
- Restart your computer and press the ‘delete’ key repeatedly during the boot process to access the uefi bios setup utility.
- You can also try pressing the ‘f2’ key or launching the bios setup utility from within windows.
Setting Up The M.2 Ssd As The Primary Boot Drive
Once you are in the bios menu, you need to set up the m. 2 ssd as the primary boot drive.
Follow these steps:
- Click on the ‘boot’ tab in the uefi bios setup utility.
- Look for a setting named ‘boot option #1’, ‘boot option priorities’, or ‘boot order’. This setting determines which device the system boots from.
- Use the arrow keys to select the m.2 ssd as the first boot device.
- Save your settings and exit the bios setup utility.
Enabling Ahci Mode For Optimal Performance
Ahci mode ensures that the ssd is running at optimal speeds.
Follow these steps to enable ahci mode in the bios:
- Click on the ‘advanced’ tab in the uefi bios setup utility.
- Choose the ‘sata configuration’ option and then select ‘sata mode selection’.
- Change the setting to ‘ahci’ and save the changes.
By following these simple steps, you can configure your asus bios to use your m. 2 ssd to its full potential, resulting in faster boot times and improved performance.
Make sure to enable ahci mode to maximize the performance and longevity of your ssd.
FAQ On Installing M.2 Ssd Asus Z390
How Do I Know If My Motherboard Supports M.2 Ssd?
Check your motherboard specifications online or in the manual to see if it has an m. 2 slot.
How Do I Physically Install The M.2 Ssd?
Insert the m. 2 ssd into the slot at a 30-degree angle and secure it with a screw.
What Steps Do I Need To Take After Installation?
Go into your computer’s bios and make sure the m. 2 drive is detected. Then, install your operating system and drivers.
What Are The Benefits Of Using An M.2 Ssd?
M. 2 ssds offer faster read and write speeds, are smaller in size, and provide faster boot and load times for applications.
Installing an m. 2 ssd on your asus z390 motherboard will bring a noticeable boost to your system’s overall performance. With the right tools and a bit of patience, the installation process can be smooth and hassle-free. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure a safe and proper installation.
Remember to back up important data and update your bios before beginning the installation. The simplicity of the design makes it easy for novices to follow and even rewarding for experienced users.
With the faster speeds and increased storage capacity, users can expect a significant improvement in overall system responsiveness, boot times, and application loading times.
So, if you want to take your pc to the next level, installing an m. 2 ssd on your asus z390 motherboard is definitely the way to go.